A great side-dish with any meal.
1 cup white rice, uncooked
6 large tomatoes
6 T olive oil
Salt and fresh black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T fresh basil, chopped
2 T fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Boil rice in salted water, stirring periodically, until just cooked (10 minutes).
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Cut off top of each tomato and reserve tops. Scoop out seeds, pulp, and juice, leaving a fairly healthy wall of tomato to hold shape.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of tomato juice/pulp.
- Grease bottom of baking dish with 1 T olive oil. Place tomatoes in dish.
- Combine reserved tomato pulp, rice, cheese, spices and 2 T olive oil.
- Spoon mixture into tomatoes, overfill slightly. Spoon any leftover mixture into pan around tomatoes. Drizzle everything with olive oil. Put tomato tops back onto tomatoes (loosely).
- Bake 15-20 minutes – do not over-bake or tomatoes will fall apart. Serve hot.