As served at the July 8th Market! Recipe from The Barbecue Bible by Steven Raichlen. Copyright © by Steven Raichlen. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Workman Publishing.
1 T yeast
3 T milk
5 T sugar
2 tsp salt
1 c warm water
4.5-5 c unbleached flour
1 egg, beaten
1 T veg. oil
- Either mix by regular bread method (look in a cookbook) or put everything in a bowl of a large mixer and blend with bread hooks until dough ball is formed.
- Cover loosely; let rise until doubled in bulk – about 1.5 hours; punch it down.
- Either use immediately or refrigerate up to 2 days. It will continue to rise a little in the refrigerator so be sure it is in a large container.
- Pinch off walnut sized pieces. Dust them with flour so they don’t stick together.
- Flatten them out either by hand or with a rolling pin.
- Melt a stick of butter in a pan near the grill. Have a basting brush ready.
- Place flattened balls on the grill and brush with butter as they cook. The tops will bubble and the bottoms will brown.
- Keep a watchful eye on them because they burn easily.IT HELPS TO HAVE AT LEAST TWO PEOPLE WORKING ON THE COOKING PART.