Cherry Tomato & Sausage Ragout w/ Panko Crusted Zucchini & Eggplant
By: Sara Gomach, NFM Newsletter Editor
Serves 2-3 people
- 1 zucchini (sliced into 1/2″ rounds) – my coworker gave me a gigantic 3″ diameter zucchini that I used for this recipe, but 1 regular zucchini would work for 2-3 people.
- 3/4 eggplant – sliced into 1/2″ rounds
- 1 Pint Cherry tomatoes sliced in half – or about 2 regular tomatoes cubed.
- 2 Italian sausages sliced into 1/4″ rounds (optional if going veggie) *you could also try this with chicken or even lamb from the farmers market would be great!
- 2 large spring onions – or 1/2 a large onion (chopped)
- 1/4 C basil (chopped)
- 1 C chicken (or veggie stock)
- S&P to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 C flour
- 1 C Panko crumbs
- 4 T EVOO
- S&P to taste
Preheat oven to 350
Arrange beaten eggs, flour and Panko crumbs in separate bowls and dip sliced zucchini and eggplant in each (egg first, then flour and Panko)
Lightly fry in EVOO until browned. Arrange on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 mins or until thoroughly cooked.
Saute tomatoes in EVOO
In a separate pan, saute onions, sausage and garlic until browned. Deglaze with a bit of the chicken stock
Add onion, garlic and sausage mixture to the tomatoes along with remaining chicken stock and 1/2 the basil
Simmer about 10 mins.
Arrange zucchini and eggplant on a plate, top with sauce, sprinkle with parmesaian cheese and remaining basil.
Serve with a side salad of arugula and a light vinaigrette.